06 November 2008

Day 6 of NaBloPoMo

I can't believe I've made it this far. I don't think I was this successful last year. Well, I know I wasn't this successful, and that's not saying much since it's only been 6 days.

Earlier today I was wondering what I was going to write about tonight. I was thinking I might divulge my new future plans (involving pygmy goats and root cellars) but then realized there was something much more disturbing I needed to get off my chest.

Namely my complete and utter inability to comprehend what the fuck happened in California! I mean, I wasn't even worried about it. Not on my radar. Didn't give it a thought. How on earth could that silly Prop 8 pass? There was no way in Hell. Well, apparently Hell found a way. Apparently there are many many more insanely bigoted and narrow minded people in California than I had previously thought. I mean, how can the majority of people in a state just up and decide that a whole segment of the population of that state doesn't deserve the same rights as they do? Who gives them that right? Is that even a right that they should have in the first place? I can tell you the answer. No. They don't have that right and they shouldn't have the power to take that right away after it's been granted.

I know that this speaks to a much larger issue in this country. I'm lucky, I currently live in a state where gay marriage is legal and recognized and I was born and raised in one of the first states to enact Civil Unions. Once those steps forward are made however I don't think there is anyone that should be able to take them away again. Ever. It's wrong to deny those rights in the first place, but it's doubly wrong to take them away after they've been granted.

It's more disturbing than I can ever begin to make it seem in words. I just don't understand how a human being could vote to take away the rights of another human being. Even though we've been doing it all through history. But that's the key word, history. Shouldn't we have progressed more than that by now? If you don't agree with someone's lifestyle than that's fine, but you don't have the right to take away that person's rights to live their life as they want.

An' ye harm none, do what ye will.
Words more people should heed.

No comments:

Post a Comment